Sunday, 17 July 2011

Hurry up and relax!

I have good news and bad news. The good news...after months and months of ongoing back pain, I am finally (FINALLY!!!!) starting to experience some relief after a few treatments of Acupuncture. Although I am still on the mend, it is amazing how some little needles placed in my back and butt can start to make a huge difference!! Since Acupuncture is starting to work, a lot of my pain may be from an over-active and sensitive nervous system as well as my weak SI joint. (jeesh, having a baby does a lot to a person!)

Now the bad news...Along with this therapy, it has been suggested that I try and work on more ways of relaxing. (hence the title of this post).

Relax!!?? What's that??!!...pfff. Since I'm a very go-go person, and I tend to get up-tight and frustrated quickly, this practice is very difficult for me! It has been recommended that one way to start working on the art of relaxing is to take up Yoga. Now for all you skeptics out there (including myself), don't be too quick to judge. Although Yoga and Hinduism have their roots in India, the actual practice of Yoga can be for anyone and any religion. "Its separate physical and psychological processes have no connection with religious beliefs. Additionally, dedicated hatha yoga practice has been found to enhance the religious practice or beliefs of practitioners, whatever their current beliefs." (Howell, 2011).

Now I'm no yoga guru so I'm not suggesting that this will be the ultimate cure, but from what I've experienced so far...it is a helpful practice for working on relaxing and focusing the mind. So this week I have been working on some simple breath awareness activities to help focus my mind and calm me down at the end of the day. I also attempted a yoga class at my local community centre....which unfortunately resulted in a lot of pain and I'm still recovering. ugh. I can't take this much relaxation!!!! ha

xoxo Vent Machine

References
Howell, Edith. Retrieved 07/17/11 from http://www.yogaforbeginners.com/

1 comment:

  1. you just referenced something on your blog you nerd. and you really don't need to worry about your "yoga" concerns. i did it all the time and loved it--just take the class the way you want to what your instructor thinks CANNot control your mind. Actually me and God had some pretty neat chats in my classes-well and we both laughed at my reflection in some really weird positions. ha
    -elycia

    ReplyDelete