Monday, 3 October 2011

I'm sorry, am I some kind of inconvenience to you?

This morning I woke up very tired once again. For the last three days E has been waking up in the night having insane screaming fits. Not only is this happening at night, he's been very clingy and whinny during the day, stuffed nose, coughing, and just all around miserable. Last night we were up from 4-5:30am trying to calm him down. This makes for a very tired, unhappy mommy...and a tired baby too!

So I decided to do what I'm sure many parents would do....I called the doctor this morning. And once again, I got the lovely 'unfriendly' answer from the lady on the other side of the line. I'm sorry, but did I erk you in some way?? Is there a reason why the customer service at the doctor's office does not sound friendly, interested, or helpful!

I asked if there was an appointment available with my doctor this afternoon anytime after 3 and my response was, "no" (very direct and abrupt). Then silence. Then, "What's the problem?" (in a tone that sounded annoyed) I proceeded to say how my son has been having many screaming fits, coughing, and all around miserable and I thought he should get checked out, maybe his ears. My next response was, "Why does it have to be after 3?" (once again sounding very annoyed, as if I'm some kind of inconvenience). So I went on to say how he usually naps between 1 and 3 yaada, yaada. Thankfully I was able to get an appointment for him for tomorrow morning!

All this to say, this is not the first time this kind of conversation, or tone of voice has happened to me when I call the lovely doctor's office in my town. I just don't understand why me calling seems like such an inconvenience to them. Are they not in the helping profession? should they not sound more caring? more interested in my child's welfare? I usually just don't say anything about it...but this time I'm speaking out. Come on people...be a little friendlier on the phone. Cause one of these times I'm just going to come out an say over the phone, "I'm sorry, am I some kind of inconvenience to you?"

xoxo
Vent Machine

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel your pain! Our last landlord was the same way. If there was a problem with the house is hated having to call. She always sounded like she was completely miffed that I would dare call her. So frustrating!

    ReplyDelete